jeudi 1 mars 2018

More questions and answers

Désolé, c'est en anglais... mais :
1. une fois n'est pas coutume
2.  il y a Google translate (ou d'autres) pour ceux qui veulent



Today, I have to answer to some questions, about Note by Note Cooking. I share the answers :


How did you come out to invent Note by Note Cooking ? 
It was in 1994, as I was writing the draft of an article to be published in Scientific American. The article was to be co-signed with Nicholas Kurti, but I did generally the first draft, and Nicholas was adding additions and making corrections. Indeed the text was finished, but the conclusion was missing, and we had a discussion with Nicholas. He said (and had wrote) that chemistry was already in the kitchen, and I told him that no, on the contrary, it was not there.
And indeed, at that time, I was playing by adding pure compounds in wine, whiskies, etc., so that I proposed to add this sentence in the text: "I dream of the time when recipe will include "add two drops of a dilute solution of mercaptan". Nicholas accepted my idea, but indeed I wanted more than simply adding kind of seasonings, and the years after, after Nicholas was dead, I proposed to make the whole dishes, compound by compound. And because I was unhappy of the confusion of molecular gastronomy with molecular cooking, I decided to create a name with a reference with art, not with chemistry of science.
I lectured for some years on it, between 1998 and 1999, but I stopped for a while, because the public was upset by the possibility of the Bug of the year 2000... and I resumed lecturing on it in 2004. In 2006, I asked Pierre Gagnaire to show a note by note dish, and this was shown to the press in Hong Kong in April 2006.


 What are the future plans for Note by Note Cooking ?  
Since 2006, I am lecturing all around the world about Note by Note Cooking, because I am sure that this new trend is the future of food, both because of art reasons and also because there will be 10 billions people to feed in 2050. Indeed, Note by Note Cooking is part the Note by Note Project, that includes rural development, regulation, technique for farmers, and more generally the whole chain from the farm to the plate. We have to convince farmers to accept fractionating and cracking raw products at the farm, or if they don't want to do this, we have to convince cooperative groupings to do it. We have to convince the public to cook Note by Note, and this will come after chefs have produced recipes. Indeed the new move at Senses will be internationally important, in this promotion of the food of the future. And of course, we have to develop education program around all this.


How do you see Note by Note Cooking now and where do you want to arrive ? 
 I see that :
- the idea is given
- we see clearly the works to be done, in the various aspects of the Project
- some chefs tested various possibilities for about 10 years
- a very important recent move was the new direction at Senses
- a startup was created for selling products for Note by Note Cooking
- more and more lectures, in profesional circles, are invited  on Note by Note Cooking
- a very important TV (Iron chef) in Japan included recently Note by Note Cooking
- etc.
But the goal is clear: I want the public to be able to cook note by note daily.


 What are the connections between  molecular gastronomy and Note by Note Cooking ? 
Indeed there are few. Of course, the fundamental studies of molecular gastronomy can help the chefs cooking note by note to make new textures, new colors, new tastes or new odors, etc. but the question is not there. Indeed I published a long time ago a book saying that cooking is love, art and technique. The Note by note technique is easy, and we have to develop the art. The  main barrier is the acceptability of the idea... but we have in front of us a whole continent of food that was never produced. The issue is: do we want to stay in the old world, or do we want to innovate really? This means crossing the ocean, i.e. working, making new recipes, testing new flavours.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Un commentaire? N'hésitez pas!
Et si vous souhaitez une réponse, n'oubliez pas d'indiquer votre adresse de courriel !